• ACC pays for counselling for people who have been affected by sexual violence. It doesn’t matter how long ago it happened; ACC will support you when you are ready
  • Sexual violence includes most forms of sexual violation:  rape, unwanted sexual contact, or indecent assault on an adult
  • All sexual contact with children
  • You DO NOT have to report the event to the Police to get counselling from ACC for sexual violence.  Confidentiality is our highest priority.


ACC pays the full cost of counselling for sexual violence. (Note that ACC will not pay for counselling for problems it does not consider were caused by the sexual violence.)

Can I see any psychologist?

ACC will only pay for counselling provided by an ACC Registered Provider. There are many counsellors, psychotherapists, and psychologists who provide excellent treatment for sexual abuse who choose not to register with ACC and in such cases, you pay for your own treatment.

I have been sexually abused and am sexually abuse and suffering from the result of these traumatic events. What is my next step?

The first thing to do is to make contact with an ACC Counsellor or contact New Life Support. We will explain the ACC process to you and if you prefer, we can start therapy straight away. You can choose how long you want counselling for. You can take a break and come back to counselling at a later time, and it is okay to change counsellors if you want someone who suits you better.